Friday, June 12, 2015

So You Want to Get Published Part 2

The Clarion Call
Whenever there is a publishing opportunity for you, I am going to send out what is known as a "clarion call."  The dictionary defines this as a strongly expressed demand or a call to action.

The clarion was a medieval war trumpet that sounded the alarm and called people to prepare themselves immediately for whatever was happening at the moment.  

In other words, when I send out a clarion call, I am urging you to action as a writer.  Each clarion call will spotlight a publishing opportunity or a contest.  Be sure to read the details carefully.


Today's clarion call is for Starsongs Magazine.

The following information was advertised in a recent email from Kristine Pratt, the owner of Written World Communications.

Starsongs is looking for writers age 9-19.  They accept short stories, poetry, artwork, and photography from young people.  Stories and essays should not exceed 1200 words.  Poetry should be no longer than one page.

The current theme for summer 2015 is travel and faraway places.  Even though the submissions page says the deadline is June 15, they have extended the deadline to June 25, 2015, so make a note!

Get this:  Starsongs does pay for selected submissions.  It varies between $5 and $25 per piece depending on length and genre.  You also will have a byline so your name will appear with your published submission.

Submission guidelines can be found by clicking here.

This is a great way to start getting your work out there.  Especially at a young age, your participation in opportunities like this will set yourself up for a bright writing future.

Before you submit, remember these things from last week's post:

Above all else, don't pass up your chance to be published.  Do you want to be writer?

The time is now.

Comment below what you plan to submit to Starsongs.

Contact me using the form at the right of this page if you have further questions.  

2 comments:

  1. When I'm writing or re-reading my work, I always think about what pieces could possibly have the potential to be published. I tend to think about it so much I convince myself none of them are worthy of it. I guess I need to stop thinking so much and just take a chance, maybe submit one of my short stories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing is a risky business. I too get the jitters and doubts when I share my pieces with other talented writers or submit to contests or editors. Why don't you choose one of your stories that matches the guidelines and email it to me. I will help you edit it before you send it in. The best way to break in is to fight the fear and JUST DO IT. :)

      Delete